Creator of worlds.
/ RECOMBINANT NARRATIVE / PERSPECTIVE / UNCONVENTIONAL MECHANICS / ROLEPLAY /
Alexa is a game designer with expertise in building a cohesive world through visual expression and player actions.
Alexa Bona Kim
Web Portfolio: http://alexa-kim.squarespace.com/
E-mail: email@example.com Mobile: (323) 434-0511
- Game design with focus on visual communication
- Rapid prototyping using Unity and Unreal Engine 4
- Gameplay programming in C++ and C#
- Native proficiency in both English and Korean
- Additional skills: 3dsMax, Photoshop, working knowledge of video editing and audio design
2015 MFA in Interactive Media and Games, University of Southern California, USA
- GPA: 3.86
- Muller Family Scholarship (University of Southern California)
- The Rock Hudson Memorial Scholarship (University of Southern California)
2011 BFA in Design, Visual Communication Design, Seoul National University, Korea
- JCE Game Scholarship (Joycity)
2015 - Studio Roqovan Tarzana, California
Game Designer / Oct. 2015 – Current
Stunt Corgi: Physics driven sandbox game for Steam / HTC Vive. Sole creator of original game concept and prototype. Responsible for creative vision and direction for all departments, in addition to gameplay design and implementation. Developed in Unreal Engine 4 using C++. Game website: http://stuntcorgi.com
World War Toons: Online multiplayer FPS game for PS4 and PSVR. Created 'Playground' level and 'Calibration' minigame. Designed and implemented character abilities, gameflow, animation systems and visual communication for combat mechanics. Developed in Unreal Engine 4 using C++. Game website: https://www.worldwartoons.com
2014 Robotoki Sherman Oaks, California
Lead Game Designer / Jun. 2014 – Aug. 2014
- Unannounced Game: Designed 7 levels for a 3D, physics driven sandbox game in the Infernal Engine. In charge of designing gameplay, gray-boxing, dressing, and scripting events in all levels. Clips of gameplay footage can be seen in this video: https://youtu.be/Umc7qEUn5-s
2013 Institute for Multimedia Literacy University of Southern California, USA
Environment designer / Sep. 2013 – Dec. 2013
- Project Syria: Journalism piece using HMD goggles and position tracking. The player physically ‘steps into’ a virtually reenacted event of a mortar attack during a civilian protest in Syria.
- Use of Force: Virtual reenactment of the police brutality case of Anastasio Rojas using the same technology as Project Syria. Buzzfeed feature video: http://youtu.be/KxYfJb4jAgk
2010 Joycity Bundang, South Korea
Intern game designer / Jan. 2010 – Feb. 2010
- NX Online: Online multiplayer battle game that combines third-person action with portal mechanics. Game website: https://nx.masangsoft.com
2015 Summoner Poro: Designer and Artist – Mechanics design, character behavior scripting, 3D modeling.
Data visualization application that takes gameplay statistics of League of Legends players and renders it into unique Poros, the mascot character of the game. Project website: http://summonerporo.com
2015 544: Along Came a Tiger: Creative Director and Designer– Design, narrative, scripting and visual direction.
First-person survival-escape game that takes place an alternate history of WWII. Player controls a pair of siblings with supernatural senses in evading the enemy and discovering the truth behind their identity, family, and home. Game website with full download: http://alexa-kim.squarespace.com/544
2014 Anamnesis: Designer, Writer and Artist – Gameplay, narrative, environment design
First-person mystery game using the Oculus Rift. Players use the Oculus Rift as a pair of special goggles for investigating the disappearance of two people in the aftermath of a deadly outbreak. Showcased as IndieCade @ E3 2014 Official Selection & IndieCade 2014 Festival Digital Select. Game website with full download: http://alexa-kim.squarespace.com/anamnesis
2013 Space Maestro: Producer – Task management, user experience testing and gameplay design
Musical game using the Microsoft Kinect. Players create a galaxy through hand gestures, while it procedurally generates a corresponding musical composition. Showcased as IndieCade @ E3 2013 Official Selection. Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/SPACEMAESTRO